Monday, February 23, 2009

Mariachi Fan Mail

Now and then I am fortunate enough to have a Velveteen Rabbit moment that shows me I am in now real in one or another area--perhaps not outstanding, but real.

One such moment occurred recently when I received my very first fan mail from young readers in Riverside, California, who wrote letters to me in class on February 3. I would like to thank their teacher Sheila McMahon for sharing the letters with me.

It would take a lot of space to include all of the letters, but I do want to list all of my correspondents' first names:

Angelo
Carmen
Carlos
Christian
César
David
Devin
Frankie
Gabriel
Haylee
Jennifer
Jovanni
Kevin
Liliana
Lupita
Ryan
Simon
Most of them are from seven to nine years of age.
Haylee writes, "I am impressed by the book you wrote." I am impressed that people take the time and interest to read.
Liliana mentions that she is seven years and asks me how old I am. I am much, much older: 45 years old, to be exact.
Among the boys, David tells me that he knows some Spanish words, and Angelo hopes that I will write another story. I'll see what I can do about that.

No comments: